When the body is moving in accordance with it’s natural design, it does so with ease, freedom and vitality. Yet, most of us have developed ways of moving through the activities of our daily lives that interfere with the body’s intrinsic design, distorting skeletal alignment, and creating excess muscular effort. We strain our necks and eyes at our computers, we collapse our chests and hunch our shoulders, we rush through the tasks of the day with little or no awareness of ourselves and our surroundings. These habits have become unconsciously fixed in the body and often lead to physical discomfort or pain, compromising our ability to perform at our best and enjoy the breadth of our own lives.
WHO STUDIES THE ALEXANDER TECHNIQUE?
- People seeking relief from chronic pain: neck and shoulder discomfort, sciatica, tendonitis, back pain and stress headaches
- Musicians, performers wanting to refine their understanding of the body and breath in order to improve performance
- Athletes wanting more ease and efficiency in movement and to prevent injury
- Teachers and public speakers having difficulty with vocal production
- People seeking a reduction in stress and anxiety
- People addressing problems of posture and coordination
- Those who desire greater mind/body awareness